Sunday, August 1, 2010

Books, books, books!


I went to the city with my sister and my mum today. We had Taiwanese food (yum!) and then I went shopping by myself while my sister and mum went clothes and grocery shopping. I also had a Raspberry Mango smoothie which... wasn't very nice, but I drank it all anyway while I browsed around for books. Hmm, guess I'm not a 'smoothies-girl' then. I should've known- I don't even like juice (except guava juice, which I tried in Hawaii). I bought three books:

- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky ($6.95)
- Persuasion by Jane Austen ($6.95)- I couldn't help myself. I love this book so much!
- The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown ($7.95)- just to see what all the fuss is about


I love Basement Books. 

*smiles*

3 comments:

JJ said...

I so enjoy reading your journal, Lu. Not a smoothies girl. Right. Sweet enough already? Mmm.

I found Crime and Punishment bloody hard going. I started enjoying it when I got to about the last 10%. By then I was getting used to the style. Thought-provoking stuff, though. I hope you persevere. You know The Da Vinci Code is largely based on Holy Blood, Holy Grail, don't you? I found that very interesting.

Jo March said...

I enjoy reading about your haul.

I can't say that I really enjoy Austen's work anymore, but they're classics.

I haven't read Crimes and Punishment yet, but I find Dostoyevsky's works (okay one work, seeing as I've only read Brothers Karamazov) to be insightful and stimulating.

As Jenny knows, I'm opposed to the Da Vinci Code, not because of the style- well okay the style. Some parts are intriguing, but the whole book works itself up to this climax, and doesn't have the common decency to stop. It sort of trickles away into this substandard plot line. And studying the book from a purely anthropological level- yes there is corruption in the church (years of the catholic church and the spanish inquisition can attest to that), but there are so many god damned plot holes in the entire theory you could melt it on your bread and call it swiss cheese.

But you know that's just me.

I know that Jenny for one loved it, or at least arguing with me about it, so tastes differ and such. To each his own.

Carmen said...

Hahhahaha, Rae up there, I remember you saying that to me about the Da Vinci Code! And Angels and Demons!

Great picture of the city Luce:)It actually makes that place look friendly...yeah, I don't like the city much.

You are the only person in the grade who even likes Jane Austen. You deserve a trophy, girl!